How do I burn candles safely?
What candle burning safety rules do I need to follow?
Candles are meant to be enjoyed, but it is important that you follow some common sense safety rules when burning them.
- Never leave a burning candle unattented. Extinguish all candles when you leave a room or before going to sleep.
- Follow the 2 foot rule - don't place a burning candle near clothing, books, curtains or anything flammable.
- Keep lit candles away from drafts, ceiling fans and any air currents.
- Trim the wick to one-quarter inch each time the candle is lit. This helps prevent the flame from getting too large.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
- Place candle holders on a stable, heat-resistant surface that is sturdy and large enough to catch any melted wax.
- Always read and follow manufacturers' directions for use and safety, and extinguish a candle if the flame gets too close to the candle holder or container.
- Place burning candles at least 3 inches apart from one another.
- A burning candle should not be used as a nightlight.
- A candle should not be burned for more than four hours at a time.
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
<- Back to FAQ Homepage