New position! We are looking for a highly organized and motivated individual to keep our growing company running smoothly and our employees happy. This position will require strong communication skills and a desire to assist our small, fast-paced and hard-working team across multiple locations.
We need someone who is proactive, adaptable, and energetic. You will often receive tasks or projects that do not have a clear path to completion. You’ll need to pick up new things quickly, develop your own processes and be comfortable making decisions to thrive in this role. If you enjoy problem solving and details, you will love this job!
This position will require the full spectrum of human resources knowledge and expertise, ranging from time clock management to payroll to legal compliance. You will work directly with our HR Manager/Legal Director to not only maintain our HR department, but improve it. We have employees working in three separate locations in two states, so excellent communication and organization skills will be key.
Our employees are deeply appreciated, and the person who fills this role should ensure that they know it!
- Screen and interview candidates
- Onboard new hires
- Assist employees with benefits questions
- Manage company timeclock
- Update company handbook
- Prepare and submit bi-weekly payroll and ensure accuracy
- Schedule IRA contributions
- Provide semi-annual benefits overviews and related trainings to employees
- Ensure company compliance with state and federal labor laws
- Manage job postings
- Improve and streamline our hiring process
- Maintain HR records
- Create videos to be used by new hires, training updates, etc.
- Complete salary surveys to ensure above market pay and benefits for all employees
- Create opportunities for employee recognition (birthdays, anniversaries, milestones)
- Work with other staff to plan employee appreciation events throughout the year
- Complete other project-based assignments as necessary
- Three or more years experience in human resources
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Computer fluency, including experience with MacOS, G Suite, MS Office
- Willingness to learn
- Valid driver’s license and transportation to and from work
- BA/BS degree
Headquartered in Durham, NC, we’re surrounded by great restaurants, cultural activities, and sporting events. Also known as one of the “Tastiest Towns of the South,” Durham is one of the best places to live and work.
Big company benefits with small company culture! We provide comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage with low deductibles. All employees receive employer match for retirement contributions of up to 3% of annual earnings. We have liberal vacation policies and offer additional benefits including technology stipends, annual bonuses, discounted gym memberships, and company-paid life and disability insurance.
CandleScience develops and sells candle and soap making supplies. Our customers vary in size from candle and soap entrepreneurs to seasonal hobbyists. We began in 2004 as a two-person startup, and have become the market leader in the industry.
We work hard to develop natural and safe products that push the boundaries of candle and soap making. Our success is a result of our focus on web development, product development, and operations.
For More About Us:
Igniting Growth with CandleScience | UPS
First Candles, Now Soap. Durham’s CandleScience Expands in DIY Market | TechWire