Whether you are using soy wax to make your first candle or have been making paraffin wax candles for years these instructions will give you a good foundation for making soy wax candles.
Note: For your convenience we have linked all the keywords below directly to the pages in our site where the products are available. If you have any questions regarding the directions please send them to email@example.com, we will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Melt 1 lb. of GB 464 (16 oz.) using a double boiler. Heat wax to 185 F. (It is also a good idea to pre-heat the glass to about 125 F to avoid "pull away.")
- Add the color chip and stir. If you ever see little specks of solid color in the bottom of your candles try adding the color chips at a slightly higher temperature.
- Add fragrance. We're using 1 oz. of Honeysuckle Jasmine fragrance oil. When adding fragrance, stir well and remove from heat. Do not let fragranced wax continue to heat as the fragrance will evaporate out of the wax.
- While the wax is cooling, place a wick stickum on the bottom of the pretabbed ECO-14 wick and center the wick inside the Small Salsa Jar. Repeat this step for the remaining two jars.
- When the wax cools to 125 F, carefully pour the wax evenly into the 3 jars.
- Place the wick bar with the center peak facing up on top of your tin. Pull wick taut and gently press wick into the opening of the wick bar. This will keep the wick straight and centered while the candle is cooling.
- For best results, let the candle cool at room temperature overnight.
- Trim wick to 1/4 in. before lighting. (do this each time you light it) and enjoy your candle.
Congratulations, you just made your first soy candle!
When you sit back and light it for the first time take pride in the fact that you just made a eco-friendly candle from an American grown, renewable product. It's carbon neutral for goodness sakes. If it's just for your personal use tell your friends about it. If you are selling your candles make sure you really market it as an environmentally responsible product.
Note: You can top your soy candles with the #82 Twist Top lids in gold or silver.