How to Make Soy Wax Melts for Fall
Soy wax melts are easy and fun to make, and the color and fragrance combinations are endless. With this in mind, we came up with a seasonal Fall project using our all natural Ecosoya PB Pillar Blend Soy Wax with melts in the shape of pumpkins and leaves.
- Double Boiler or Hot Plate
- Small Pouring Pitcher
- 1/2 lb. Ecosoya PB Pillar Blend Wax
- 1 drop Orange Liquid Dye
- 1 drop Yellow Liquid Dye
- 1 drop Red Liquid Dye or Green Liquid Dye
- 1/2 oz. Pumpkin Pie Fragrance Oil
- 2 - Mini leaf and pumpkin candy molds (also available at craft stores)
- Candle and Soap Scale
- Spatula or Large Spoon for Stirring Wax
- 3 - 9 ounce paper cups for separating melted colored wax
- 1 - 2 oz. paper cup for measuring fragrance oil
- Rubbing Alcohol and Paper Towels for easy clean up
- Wax Melter for finished melts
- Warning Labels
- 2 Medium Straight Sided Jars with Silver Twist Tops
Soy Wax Melt Directions:
Step 1: Weigh and Melt Wax
Step 2: Label Cups for Wax Color
While wax is heating, label 3 paper cups - orange, yellow, and red (or green).
Step 3: Add Fragrance Oil
At 185 degrees, add 1/2 ounce Pumpkin Pie Fragrance Oil to wax in pouring pitcher and stir gently but thoroughly. Remove from heat.
Step 5: Separate Wax and Add Liquid Dye
Tare each of the three cups on the scale and measure 2 1/2 ounces of the heated fragranced wax into the three cups. Add 1 drop of color dye to its corresponding labeled cup and stir thoroughly. (Try to do this quickly as you want the color to mix in before the wax cools too much.)
Step 6: Pour Wax Into Molds
When the cups of wax cool to 140 degrees, carefully pour the orange wax into the 16 pumpkin shapes, and pour the red (or green) and yellow wax equally among the remaining leaf molds. Note: Due to the amount of wax and the type of molds we used, there were some leaf molds that did not get filled with wax.
Step 7: Remove Melts
When wax is completely cooled, turn molds over and the melts should pop out easily. Place 1 or 2 in your wax melter and enjoy.
Optional: Decorative Jar Containers
A neat gift idea is to place the melts in a decorative jar - we used our Medium Straight Sided Jar. Cut a piece of burlap into a circular shape, place it over the top of the jar with the lid, and tie some jute around the lid. Add a label if desired and place a warning label on the bottom of each jar.
Remember to always follow all candle burning safety rules.