Reed Diffuser Base
Reed Diffuser Base is a liquid you mix with fragrance oils to make reed diffuser oils. It makes fragrance thinner, or less viscous, so that it flows up the reed easily.
Please note that not every fragrance is compatible with a given reed diffuser base. We test every single one of our fragrances in our base, and list the compatibility on individual fragrance pages.
Major Product Revision - 11/8/2011
We've totally reformulated our reed diffuser base for:
- Better wicking up the reed
- More volatility, which means more fragrance in the air
- Full evaporation, which tells customers it is time to refill
Note: We've also switched to selling by weight, not by volume (as with the last version). The good news is that 1 oz. by volume weighs about 1 oz (like water), so there is really no conversion. We've also retested every single fragrance, and have listed updated compatibility on each fragrance page.
Are all Reed Diffuser Bases the same?
Absolutely Not! There are 2 big things to watch for:
1. Safety - When we first saw the popularity of Reed Diffusers, we got excited. But when we studied them, we found safety issues that weren't being handled in a way we felt good about. Turns out lots of bases have high levels of VOC's in them. VOC's or Volatile Organic Compounds are compounds that are harmful and create indoor air quality problems. You can find out more about it at the EPA's VOC page. We weren't willing to offer a base classified as a VOC, and it turns out lots of states (CA, MD, PA, NY, ME, DE, NJ, DC) have made strict rules about them. This product does not contain DPG.
The bottom line is - make sure that you are using a diffuser base that is VOC compliant, especially if you live in the states above. Rest assured that our base is totally safe and has no VOC restrictions in any state.
2. Flow - The other important aspect we encountered in testing and formulating a reed diffuser base is its ability to move up the reed easily. We've seen products that take days to reach the top. Many people take shortcuts like flipping the reeds to quickly wet both sides, but we've found that the best fragrance throw is achieved with a base that flows through the reed.
An easy formula is 25% - 3 parts Diffuser Base to 1 part Fragrance Oil.
Submitted On 2015-06-02 Cindy
My formula is 3 to 1 as suggested. Works great and easy to remember!
Submitted On 2015-01-08 Jess
I used 10 reeds in my diffuser bottle :)
Submitted On 2015-01-08 Jess
I'm still learning about reads and base and stuff but.. I made a diffuser today and it's working very well. I used 6oz of base and 1oz of fragrance oil (Love Spell) and it's potent! My office smells great! It says you can use 3oz of diffuser and 1oz oil but I think it would be too strong. 6oz base to 1oz fragrance is perfect. Can't wait to make more diffusers.