Tilted Layer Container Candle
Celebrate the American spirit with this fun patriotic container candle.
- 1 oz Macintosh Apple Fragrance Oil
- 6 drops Red Liquid Dye
- 6 drops Blue Liquid Dye
- 1 LX 24 Pretabbled Wick
- 1 Wick Stickum
- 1 Wick Bar
- 1 16 ounce Apothecary Jar
- 1 Large Flat Top (optional)
- Hot Plate or Double Boiler
- Pouring Pitchers or 3 smaller pots for separating colored wax
- Candle and Soap Scale
- Glass Thermometer
- Warning Labels
- Paper Towels
- Something to safely prop your container up on a tilt. (We used a cooling rack and a 12 inch piece of cardboard folded and taped like a long triangle to prop up the jar).
- Weigh 1 lb. IGI 4630 Paraffin Wax, place in a Pouring Pitcher on a hot plate or in a double boiler, and heat wax to 185 degrees.
- While wax is heating, wipe out the Apothecary Jar with a little alcohol and paper towel, center the LX 24 Pretabbled Wick, and secure it in place with a [Wick Stickum][stickums].
- When the wax heats to 185 degrees, add 1 ounce of Macintosh Apple Fragrance Oil. Remove from heat and mix thoroughly but gently for 2 minutes.
- Next, separate the 1 pound of heated fragranced wax into three equal parts - about 5 and 1/2 ounces each for the red, white and blue colors. Keep the uncolored fragranced wax in the original pot. Weigh 5 and 1/2 ounces of wax into the other two pots. Add 6 drops of Red Liquid Dye to the second pot and stir completely. Add 6 drops of Blue Liquid Dye into the 3rd pot and stir completely. Set these aside to be reheated later.
- Prop your wicked Apothecary Jar so that it's on a slight tilt. Make sure that it doesn't slip. When the white (uncolored wax) cools to 165 degrees, carefully pour the wax into the tilted apothecary jar and let cool completely. Use a Wick Bar to keep the wick centered. Let cool about 3 hours at room temperature (70-75 degrees)
- Reheat the red wax to 165 degrees. Carefully pour into the tilted apothecary jar being careful not to spash any extra wax on the sides of the container. Let cool for about 3 hours. Place the apothecary jar upright for the last layer of wax. Heat the blue wax to 165 degrees and carefully pour in the jar. Let the wax cool completely on a level surface. Trim the wick to 1/2 inch, place a warning label on the bottom of the container, and top it with a large glass flat top.
Remember to always follow all candle burning safety rules.