After doing multiple burn tests, I realize that this wick performs much better than I previously thought. During the first round of tests, I could barely get a flame and I wouldn't achieve a full melt pool until 3 hours into the burn. However, I was able to get a full melt pool at around one hour into the burn and I had a much healthier flame during my second and third round of burn tests. I think part of the problem I had before was that I trimmed the wick too short towards in the beginning of the very first set of burn tests because the wick just never recovered after that.
After multiple burns, I find this wick performs best when you leave the wick alone (blasphemy!), especially in the straight sided jars. I tend to avoid trimming it UNLESS there is a mushroom at the top. Without the mushroom, the wick usually stays at around 1/4 inch in the straight sided jars, which is exactly what you want.